Friday, September 23, 2005

July 1977




Funny story about this haircut. It’s called “the Nova.”

The summer of '77 I had the long Farrah Fawcett hair that was all streaked from the sun (and liberal applications of Sun-In and lemon juice) at the sides. I had to spend about an hour and a half with some very complicated combinations of sprays and setting lotions and heat generating hair styling appliances getting it to look the way I wanted, but it was worth it.

I thought I could trim it myself. I'd watched my beautician snip, snip, snip; it looked easy!

I was wrong.

One side of my hair ended up grossly shorter than the other, and that was just the front. I made an appointment to go and get it fixed. I never let on to my parents what I had done, flushing the hair down the toilet and wearing it under a headband with the rest of it pulled back for the few days till my appointment

I began to drop hints that I might be getting it cut short, and my mother was trying to talk me out of it. My friends tried to talk me out of it too. One said, “Oh don’t, it looks so cool, it looks better than Farrah’s!” It was too late to be talked out of it; there was no turning back after I made the ham-handed chops to just below my ear late one summer night, casually watching Johnny Carson reflected in the mirror just above my shoulder as I cut. I was so embarrassed that I had made such a mess of my own hair, my perfect Farrah hair, that when I went to the hairdresser, I told her that I was at a party and someone was playing with a cigarette lighter that flared up and my hair caught fire, so of course I had to cut out the singed ends.

I don’t think she bought it. She brought out a book with pictures of different hairstyles in it. She pointed to one, and said, “This one’s called The Nova.”

Comments from original website:

daisyjellybean @ 2003-07-29 20:54 said:
i like the nova... and i had a similar story... my friend tried to cut my bangs one night a party when i was in college and they totally messed up and i told the beautician that a cigarette singed the ends... tee hee...

arto @ 2003-07-29 20:56 said:
well told, as always!

jungalero @ 2003-07-29 20:58 said:
I love it! You`re foxier than Farrah...

keith @ 2003-07-29 20:59 said:
That`s a super nova {groan} . . . sorry. Something along the lines of your singed hair story actually happened to me, involving a big wad of Hubba Bubba bubblegum and bad aim on the part of my brother . . .

hoyumpavision @ 2003-07-29 21:06 said:
Look how pretty you are! Geesh! I wanted my hair like Farrah`s, too. I even cried when my hair wouldn`t do that cool feathering thing.

neene @ 2003-07-29 21:17 said:
i feel your pain, i cut & color my hair myself to this day and am forever looking in the mirror and saying "how could I possibly do this to myself"

machine59 @ 2003-07-29 22:08 said:
love the story and really like the foto. great

strangerswcandy @ 2003-07-29 23:49 said:
ahhh high school hairdos. I insisted on parting my hair in the middle (aka travolta), now its departed in the middle (aka willis). I`d go with the Nova any day.

agatebay @ 2003-07-30 02:10 said:
Great story, great hairdo.

mr_magoo @ 2003-07-30 07:50 said:
you are a picture.

garydann @ 2003-07-30 11:02 said:
this is great...love the feathered hair.

tommygnosiss @ 2003-07-30 11:52 said:
i love the hair too! and your story truly entertained me!

fotonaut @ 2003-08-11 22:22 said:
You are so open with your life....wow, thanks!

aaahhh @ 2003-08-19 00:26 said:
Beautiful photo! You look like the singer from Abba. It`s oddly fascinating reading a stranger`s life story. Thanks for sharing

1 Comments:

Blogger Sylvia said...

Oh no! Where is the photograph, I don't recall reading this story and I need to know what she did to your hair!

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home